How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost temporarily custody filed a motion to get it back my

Customer Question

I lost temporarily custody filed a motion to get it back my son is 8 but have reason to believe now that my ex is not his real father he is not on the birth certificate. Will he still have any rights
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I have a court date just don't want to be surprised
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Has a court made a determination that he is the father?

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

An actual final order of paternity?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No he has a order to pay child support
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Then you can challenge whether he is the father and ask for a paternity test. If it come back that he is not the father than he won't have grounds to get visitation, etc.

If you're not using a lawyer for this you probably need to consider one because the judge is going to be skeptical at this point. I've never seen one not order a paternity test when it is requested but it could happen in theory.

I am about to go offline for a little while. If you have follow up questions please ask them in this thread. If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Related Family Law Questions