How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a mother move out of state with her children if

Customer Question

Can a mother move out of state with her children if paternity hasn't been established and there is no court order?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, she can. Until paternity is established and a court order has been entered, an unmarried mother is the sole custodial parent and is free to move if she'd like. However, if the father knows she's planning to do this, he has the ability to file a Petition to Establish Paternity and an Emergency Ex Parte Motion for Restraining Order, asking the judge to delay the move at least until there can be a hearing on whether the move is in the best interest of the child.

Note that it takes six months to establish residency in a new state, so the father could also file in the original state to establish petition and get visitation for up to 6 months after the move.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?