How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of las Vegas. I am not sure if my husband

Customer Question

I am a resident of las Vegas. I am not sure if my husband has been granted a guardianship over me. Is it possible that there are circumstances that would enable him to become my guardian and that the circumstance was such that I was not allowed to be notified that any court proceedings were in progress?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the reason is because I have gone back to school because I am a displaced worker but my vehicle has been modified to allow entry without my consent and my cell phone is going through an IPA provider and my husband is monitoring my home I found cameras all over the attick
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. An adult guardianship proceeding must serve the ward (i.e. you). The only way he can do this without someone in your situation being served is:

-claim to have served you but actually did not. Service must be via certified mail with a signed receipt, or by constable or private process server that have to serve it to you. Out of these, process servers sometimes leave the summons on the door, etc, and then claim to have put it in hand, for example; OR

-he claimed that he could not find you and got you served via alternative means (such as newspaper notice), which would be very unusual.

Even if that happened, final guardianship cannot be granted until the Court assigns a special person to represent the ward (i.e. you) such as an amicus or ad litem, and they would contact you throughout the case. However, temporary ex parte emergency guardianship is possible in theory without such an assignment.

In short, this is highly unlikely.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!