How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1472
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters father filed for custody/visitation in 21st

Customer Question

My daughters father filed for custody/visitation in 21st district court where his mother is the associate director of the meditation services. We are scheduled for court in two weeks. I live 70 miles away and I want the case heard in the city I reside with our child. There is a current child support case in my city and I would like to file a change of venue to my city but can't afford an attorney. What is my best chain of action?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer, former trial lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues and other legal issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

If I’m back not here right away, I’m typing my answer. Thanks!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

Hi, C, I actually found some forms for you. You should fill them out and just ask the clerk when they need to be submitted -- of course right away though. You have to make sure you serve the other party's lawyer and file the original with the court clerk. Ask the clerk if there's anything else you need.

These are what I found and this is probably what she means -- a cover sheet and the motion itself.

I'll supply links.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

Motion cover sheet - that's probably the request for the change of venue. Make sure to check a box and list change of venue.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

They're both for NC. You need to change the language of the motion. The second one I couldn't link to because it was a download, so I attached it here.

The second one, you will need to download and change the language -- state why you want it changed to your courthouse and city -- that you already have a case there, that his mother is the associate director of the meditation services and you don't think you can get a fair hearing, and usually venue is where the children reside. Those should be enough reasons to transfer the case. The judge doesn't always do so, but hopefully he/she will do so here and if he/she is smart, the judge will grant your motion.

You may need an affidavit or certificate of service, so ask the clerk if you need that. That proves that you served the other party's attorney. Ask if you can serve by mail.

Does this help you and answer your question?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

The papers are easy to fill out. Just fill in what I mentioned. If you want me to fill them out for you I can do that but I'd have to charge an extra fee to do so. You can do this with the guidelines I gave you above.

Please know that I am very thorough and I work hard for my customers here.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

You are also welcome to come back to this room free of charge to ask me a follow-up to this question at any time. Be well and thank you for letting me help you tonight.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I searched for these forms and you can fill them out or ask me to do it for you. Either way is fine.

Because I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service so I can be compensated for assisting you? Thank you so much!

Thank you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 12 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.