How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have a hearing on 9/28 for a

Customer Question

Hello, My ex and I have a hearing on 9/28 for a Request/Modification of Custody/Visitation. On 9/23, I received a declaration that he filed. Can I respond to that declaration or do I have to wait until we go to court?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer, former trial lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues and other legal issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

If I’m back not here right away, I’m typing my answer. Thanks!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

You should file the response to the declaration as soon as possible.

In Cal, you must file your Responsive Declaration at least nine Court days (business days not weekends and holidays) before the hearing. I know your ex didn't give you enough time to do that, so that is impossible, but I would suggest you do that before the hearing and bring it to the hearing if you'd like so you can serve it on him in court. He's not going to get it any faster by mail. Make sure that you put it on the court record and ask the judge if you can serve your ex with the response to the declaration right there "in open court." Ask respectfully, ***** ***** honor, no your honor, etc.

Do you have a lawyer? Do you want me to find lawyers for you?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

Does this answer your question? Just let me know if you want additional information, such as names of lawyers in your area. I am happy to help you! You can come back here and ask me questions free of charge after you rate me too. As long as the follow-up questions are based on the same original question, they are free of charge; new questions would need a new post.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

You are also welcome to come back to this room free of charge to ask me a follow-up to this question at any time. Be well and thank you for letting me help you tonight.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!


Related Family Law Questions