How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Tutor, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 165
Experience:  N/A
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Tutor, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son lives In North Carolina and is 18 years old. He was

Customer Question

My son lives In North Carolina and is 18 years old. He was supposed to graduate high school in June but was accredit short. He was supposed to take the class in Summer school but did not. He is now enrolled in 2 classes at school and is to graduate in June 2017 but I was just informed by his mother that he is skipping school and failing both classes. I was told by child support that I am responsible for paying child support for him up to age 20 if it takes that long for him to graduate. Is this true?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need to know if this is true and if so, could an attorney help with this. I live in Ohio and my son lives in Cary North Carolina with his mother
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

And it is a North Carolina child support order correct? If so, I am typing my response.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he is to graduate in January
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

If you did not sign an agreement obligating you to pay child support for your son past your son's age of minority, then your obligation ends according to state law. Child support is paid up until the child's 18th birthday, or if he is still in high school, child support will continue until age 20 or upon graduation from high school, whichever comes first. So yes, if your son is still in high school, you may be obligated to pay up until the child is age 20. I would recommend that you stay closely involved with his teachers and know what is going on with his studies. Speak with the school administrators to make sure he stays on the graduation track. If you see that he is skipping school and not tending to his studies, you may want to see what programs and services may be available to get him through high school as quickly as possible. The good thing is that January is right around the corner, provided he stays on the right track. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Here is the appropriate statue regarding child support in North Carolina: G.S. 50-13.4 Do you have any other questions?

Related Family Law Questions