How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a Filipino woman that's married come here get a divorce

Customer Question

Can a Filipino woman that's married come here get a divorce remarried you disable American then that's 100% and then get married
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm from USA Maryland residents she's a Filipino what's the come here to get a divorce and marry I'm a veteran that's 100% can she get one
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She married over there and I want to marry her and get a divorce for her over there from here and Mary are In Las Vegas Nevada
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, unfortunately. She cannot come here as a visitor just to get a divorce I am afraid, she would have to be a resident alien in the US. Also, in order to get her here on a resident alien visa as a fiance, she would have to be unmarried or divorced already, so you would have an issue with that already. As you likely know, she cannot get a divorce in the Philippines, as they technically do not have divorce there and they would not recognize a divorce from another country unless the person was a resident of the other country. So you are in quite a difficult situation here, because you would need to get her here as a resident alien first of all, meaning she would need to find a job with a company in the US willing to bring her here on a work visa and then she could seek divorce, which in MD would take about 2 years between her having to be in the US for 1 year before filing and then the filing time and court hearing time on the divorce and it would be fairly expensive as it would require a local MD attorney and it is not something that could be dealt with pro se (without an attorney).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If she comes here on work visa can she and I go I Las Vegas Nevada and get one buy a lawyer from there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a Plumbing and heating and cleaning lic in Washington DC and have a 100 percent disability from the military honorably discharged
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
After she is here for a year on the work visa, she could file here in most all cases. Unfortunately, you having a plumbing license is not going to be helpful to getting her a work visa unless she is a licensed plumber and you would then have to prove to USCIS you cannot find any locally licensed plumbers to employ (if that is what you were thinking).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My DOCTORS says she would help a lot but haveing a cleaning lic to clean house's that's needs to be renovated or cleaned after they move out and we have to clean the house up after they leave it. This is part of the job and can I Sponsor her
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply
Unfortunately, bringing someone here for household help is not something that USCIS will generally allow unless you are hiring someone through a service, but you can seek to try to do so (they approve very few household help applications for an H1b visa though).