Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If I have joint custody. Can his father change his school

Customer Question
without my consent JA: Because education...
If I have joint custody. Can his father change his school without my consent
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New york
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2016
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Thank you for your patience.

I assume you are talking about joint legal and not joint physical custody. Joint legal custody means that yes, each parent has an equal say. Parents are expected to make major decisions about the child together. It doesn't matter which parent the child lives with; both parents must agree on the decisions together, and generally neither is allowed to overrule the other. That said, you may wish to review the agreement to see what it says, if anything in the event parents cannot agree. For example, my wife's agreement says that while the parents share joint legal custody, in the event of a dispute, she gets final say. I've also seen agreements where parents have joint legal custody in all areas, but one parent is give sole legal custody to make decisions concerning issues like education or religion, for example. So, definitely review your order.

|Where there is a dispute and the parents do not agree, however, and the agreement is silent, the alternative is to go back to court and have a judge decide.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. 5 star service is my goal, so if I have provided less than that, please tell me how I may help!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer