How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19106
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's really complicated. I pay $960 in child support of

Customer Question

It's really complicated. I pay $960 in child support of which $300 for arrears. When two of my daughters reached 19, their mother did not report it to child support services. One will be 20 on 4/1 and the other will be 22 12/8. My other daughter is 17 and my son is 12. I have filed form to dismiss $15K on interest on arrears. I still owe 15K on arrearage. I need to request for the judge to award me over payment for the two daughters. Another request would be my payment to be lowered for my 12 year and 17 year old children. I have been current on my cs order for 24 months . I have very little left out of my paycheck to help with expenses for my wife and 2 year old daughter. I cannot afford an attorney now . What advice can you give a 44 year man ? Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? Your question about advice is fairly broad, and you touched upon several subjects. I can help point you in the right direction, but our exchange is no replacement for retaining an attorney. I just want to make sure that I'm on the same page as you with regard to the legal information that you're seeking. If you could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot afford an attorney, as I have spent several thousands before on this. My mother is helping m with this as she has the time and resources. I waiting on response from court from filing my arearage interest form. Also, I took my ex-wife to court in August and the judge turned it over to another judge to appoint another judge. When I mentioned about the age factor fory 2 daughters and the fact that I have a year old child; she apparently didn't want to make a ruling. I'm in limbo and I don't know what else to do legaly.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just need to know if there any Alabama child support rules that apply to my case. I have read them all but cannot really find a definitive answer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the misspelled words as my laptop skips around when I m typing.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again.

After contemplating what you wrote, I'm really sorry to say that I don't think that I'll be able to provide you with a useful answer. However, it's quite likely that another attorney at this website will be able to do so. Accordingly, I will open your question for other attorneys to review. Thank you for using this service.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not happy with this answer, I want my $45 credited back now plase
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: A different Professional here.

If you have evidence that you paid for support when the support should have ended at the age of majority, you can file Petition for reimbursement of the overpayment with the Court. However, there is no specific mechanism set up in the Code of Alabama for making such request.

As for modification of support for the remaining minor children, you can request for modification of the support based on material change in circumstances such as making less money now; you have other children that you are supporting, etc. See Code of Alabama Title 30 Chapter 3 Article 3 Section 30-3- 64.

You can find forms for requesting for modification of your child support Order at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Related Family Law Questions