How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just got wind that my ex-wife wants to file for

Customer Question

Just got wind that my ex-wife wants to file for alimony....was never part of divorce settlement...our divorce was finalized in 1995, there has been no interaction or communication between us can she wake up one day and decide after 21 years that she wants alimony?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

If one spouse does not ask for or receive alimony during the initial divorce proceedings, but subsequently finds additional need for support, it is possible to revisit the issue. To do this, the former spouse would be required to show a need of the new alimony and has to show "changed circumstances." If the original divorce came about as the result of an agreement between the parties, it will take a fairly significant showing of cause as to why the court should set aside what amounts to a contract between the former spouses. This would be a substantial change in personal and financial circumstances, and probably not of the requesting spouse's creation. 21 years later, the spouse would have to show the court a lot in order to collect alimony now and I would find it almost impossible for this to happen especially since she cannot argue that you are somehow leaving her with nothing and she cannot live without your support (she has done it for 21 years). So to answer your question, yes it is possible, but it is very unlikely this far from your divorce settlement.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?