How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29979
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need an answer to show my 16 yr old daughter who I have

Customer Question

I need an answer to show my 16 yr old daughter who I have sole custody. Every two weeks when she gets paid my ex wife puts in her head that it is illegal for me to sign my name or her name to her paycheck. We have no intentions of doing this but I am tired of being threatened with legal action if I do. So if you could, please give me the answer so next it is brought up I can put an end to this.
Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unless your daughter's paycheck is also made out to you, signing your name to the back has no legal effect - the bank should return it for a missing endorsement. You could deposit the check into an account in your daughter's name, but you can't cash a check for her. Signing your daughter's name with her consent is fine. Signing her name without her consent is forgery. Take a look at Ohio Rev. Code, Section 2913.02, which talks about exerting control over someone else's property without their consent.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The reason this came up was that she was caught trying to buy marijuana through a text message. So we won't open a bank account in her name because we don't her to have unsupervised access to money. So with this information does that change how the law would look at this?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Not really. You don't have a right to take your daughter's money that she earns. You could take the phone you're letting her use as a gift, or turn off her phone access. You could ground her, or alert the police. But there's no law I can point to that would let you cash checks made out to her and keep the money, even if you're doling it out to her. You'd have to talk to a local attorney about setting up a trust in her name and serving as trustee.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.