How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance and I are wanting to get married but he is

Customer Question

My fiance and I are wanting to get married but he is incarcerated in the Madison Correctional Institution in London,Ohio. I contacted the probate court in Madison County to ask how to obtain a marriage license when marrying an inmate and I was told the judge no longer does the marriages to inmates. How can we get married if I can't get Madison to approve the marriage license?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Email is***@******.***
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

First if the problem is for your fiance not being present to get the license, you can get he or shes Power of Attorney and can obtain a marriage license without his or her presence that way. The first step is for both of you to make the request to the Warden.


The Warden shall contact the probate court of the county in which the institution is situated to determine how the institution may assist the court in processing inmate applications for marriage licenses. For example, at the court’s discretion, the Warden may:

1. Arrange for court personnel, or a person appointed by the court, to come to the institution to take an inmate’s application for marriage license; or,
2. Designate a staff member who may be appointed by the court to act as a deputy clerk for the purpose of taking an inmate’s application for marriage license.

Any inmate who wants to marry shall submit to the warden or designee, a written request for authorization to marry. The intended spouse must also submit a written statement verifying his or her intention to marry the inmate.

The couple to be wed is primarily responsible for obtaining a marriage license. If the inmate is not otherwise able to obtain a license, the inmate shall report that to the warden or designee. The Warden or designee shall contact the probate court of county in which the institution is situated to assist in the application process.

An inmate’s written request for a marriage ceremony to be performed in the institution shall be approved unless the Warden has reason to believe that the marriage ceremony poses a threat to institution security or order, to rehabilitative concerns, or to the protection of the public.

The inmate or the inmate’s intended spouse shall identify the person selected to perform the ceremony and shall provide an address or telephone number where such person may be contacted.

The person selected to solemnize the marriage must be one authorized by Ohio Revised Code Section 3101.08 to do so. The Warden or his/her designee may require the person selected to solemnize the marriage to produce their license or other legal credential to solemnize marriages as issued by either the Secretary of State or the County Probate Court.

The inmate is entitled to have one witness (in addition to the person performing the marriage ceremony) present at the marriage ceremony. The inmate may request a witness either from the inmate’s visitation list or from the inmate general population. This request is subject to the approval of the Warden or his/her designee.

The inmate, the inmate’s intended spouse, the inmate’s family or other appropriate source approved by the Warden or his/her designee shall pay and be solely responsible for any wedding expenses. A marriage ceremony at an institution shall be a private ceremony attended only by persons approved by the Warden.

If that does not work, write to the director of the DRC or write to the chaplain in charge of ALL of the other chaplains in the entire state.

See link for this person who can probably help as he performs marriages in that facility:

General inquiries call (###) ###-####or email***@******.***

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?