Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is it possible to stop or stall a divorce after the wife

Customer Question
filed in march of 2015...
Is it possible to stop or stall a divorce after the wife filed in march of 2015 and they finally got a final court date for Oct.18/2016. They had already settled on everything which he now wants to change so he can stall and has never kept his word and paid what the Judge ordered. So can he stop everything?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/22/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Law Tutor, Esq.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As long as the proper grounds for divorce have been met, the other party cannot stop the other from ultimately getting a divorce. They may be able to stall things a bit, but they cannot stop the person from getting divorced. You also indicated that they have already settled on everything. I assume that means that they have a written property settlement agreement. So if his attorney withdraws from representing him, he may be able to get a one time continuance to find another attorney (that will be up to the judge), but ultimately, she will get her divorce. I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions?

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He wants to retain control over her and gives her only 20.00 a day for food and gas,he pays house payment until divorce is final and it is in his name so he told herthat she wasn't there to sign. He told her she could live in the house for 10 years and then she had to move. They have 5 children and the youngest will be 18. He has abused them all mentally,and abusive and controlling.

I see. So what is your follow up question?

Do you have any further questions? Were you satisfied with the services I provided to you?

Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer