How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118282
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received sole legal and physical custody of my 3&6

Customer Question

I just received sole legal and physical custody of my 3&6 year old. Their father was granted supervised visitation (there is a 50B in place). I want to move to another state where all my family is located in order to have support and finish my schooling. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the father has only supervised visitation, it will be much easier to do. First, which is maybe unlikely, if the father agrees to the move and decides to act in the best interests of the children, he can sign a joint stipulation for you to move out of state with the children. This of course would be the easier of the two options.
If the father decides to not do what is best for the children, then she can file a motion to move out of state with the court that issued the custody order. In her motion she would describe why the move is best for the children, better quality of life, more family support, better educational opportunities and whatever else the mother believes to be a good reason in best interests of the children. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can take a motion that was already filed in your case and use it as a template and file your own motion and represent yourself and then mail a copy of the motion to the father.