How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do in case of a future audit for taking care of a

Customer Question

What to do in case of a future audit for taking care of a disabled person. From 2001-2010, i have assisted my father in the care of his formerly homeless brother. All his siblings except one of 5, had tried to help him to an extent but he soon wandered off again. He then moved in with my dad who was also near some siblings but he still wandered and police would bring him home. Soon they both moved near me but the wandering off became a problem as well causing me to stop working to keep him engaged. I gave away some shift hours to remain available to monitor my uncle.
I soon created opportunities for him to integrate with my family for various homesteading tasks and had him be part of life. Walking the dog, help make dinner, shoot some hoops, collect duck eggs, grocery shopping, swimming, trips for ice cream, (my father didn't like junk so i snuck the ice cream and paid with my money) The other 3 days per week he was signed to a day care work program where he excelled. He also had daily visits for lunch to the local coffee shop where the waitresses knew him well and daily visits to my home a few blocks away to hang out. NOW, I am being accused by his siblings of NOT putting him into a home back at that time. I just don't know why, if am not even his sibling, that it would be my responsibility?. My dad was his rep payee as of over 15 years and i didn't know how to fill the forms or how to do these calculations. I tracked a weeks worth of bills and got an average because i had my own young family and baseball mom duties. Never the less, I asked other parents and people how this all works. One mom said the SSD check goes toward the rent of their apt, and for her sons food and personal items. The SS case worker on the other said to find the market rate of a room rental and that is the rate to determine on his payee report.... SSD also said to journal expenses and that they are not looking for receipts as long as i have some of both. Because my father was old school and thrifty, and didn't justify any expenses... I took it upon myself to provide for certain purchases which i felt awkward to be reimbursed for. In retrospect, i also learned not too long ago that my father and uncle combined their bank accounts.
At the time, my folks were almost losing their home to foreclosure and i had to stop working and get someone to cover for me in order to help my uncle. My aunts knew how much i was doing and told my father to pay me for the assistance i was giving my uncle. Problem was that I felt awkward asking for an hourly compensation. My father knew how much work i was doing to get my uncle safe, but i believe because they came from a non economic based culture where people just help each other, to pay me was not a priority. My parents acknowledged how much i was doing. So now everyone wants to know where is my uncles money and my dads from all those years. What must I do? I honestly don't have anything? My dad use to say that he wanted me as the caregiver and would pay me instead of a stranger, but he would forget and never folow through so i never got paid and i was ashamed to ask being that he was my uncle. What can i do?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding your post.

Kindly review, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PLease delete my question. I will try and rewrite and repost

Related Family Law Questions