How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Tutor, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 165
Experience:  N/A
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Tutor, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm holding a student visa and got married the beginning of

Customer Question

Hi. My name is Amelia.
I'm holding a student visa and got married the beginning of this year.
I've came back to my own country and want to divorce.
I already told my partner that I wanted a divorce.
However, unfortunately he said we cannot divorce now and he can file for divorce at least 1 year after we seperate.
Is it true? I wanna divorce right now.
What should I do? I wanna know a divorce law firstly.
Plz contact following email.
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In what state does your husband live?

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The information that your husband has given you is probably accurate. Most states have a waiting period wherein once you are separated a specific amount of time, you can file for a no-fault divorce or uncontested divorce based on having lived separate and apart for that specific time period. Some states permit a divorce based on no fault grounds, provided you have been living separate and apart, without reconciliation for one year. So if he is telling you that there is a one year waiting period, depending on the state in which he resides, that may actually be the case. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.