Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Engagement to be married used to be a legally binding

Customer Question
contract but can you still...
Engagement to be married used to be a legally binding contract but can you still have a dicument naking engagement legally binding
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/20/2016
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you talking about the actual engagement as being a binding contract for the parties to agree to get married?

.

Or are you talking about setting out in a contract what happens to the engagement ring?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am asking can a legal binding contract be made for an engagement to incukde vows im christian and in regards ***** ***** also i will pay all but shoukd wedding be called off ring is returned if before narriage she loses ring she pay half why to no sge will guard ring as sacred promise i belive in bible God consideres marriage a covenant a legal binding agreement and if broken he takes it serious and wants us to consider it sacred a treasure ti gaurd so i want her to agree to bible viws considered legal if she loses ring she pays half if she guards ring beacause viws mean something to her then after wedding i will have paid all dor ring she pays nothing

Correct, a marriage is a legal contract and a legal covenant... But an engagement is just a promise to get married, not an actual marriage.

.

But as for the actual engagement, yes, you can enter into a contract that states you get the ring back and she pays half of the engagement costs and that would be entirely legally binding. You couldn't force her to get married in the contract as that is against public policy and the courts wouldn't enforce it. But you could set out in a contract what happens in the event that the marriage is called off and who is responsible for what costs..

.

.

thanks

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what i was asking no one can be nor should be firced to marriage live never forces akso thiugh if ie breaks agreement then they forfit prize u cant break off marriage and keep ring

Yes, that is correct. Generally as a matter of law, an engagement ring is a conditional gift, meaning that it is only a finalized gift if the marriage occurs. If it falls apart before marriage, then the person who gave the ring (generally the male) gets the ring back.

.

But there is nothing that would prevent the parties from specifically agreeing in a written contract what happens and who pays what. That will clearly define what both side's responsibilities are if things don't work out and would be enforceable.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you does contract like that cost much?

You are very welcome. And there is nothing at all that would prevent you from writing up your own contract setting out what terms you want in it and then having both people sign, date and have notarized. Then you have a completely legally binding contract..

.

So if you did it, it would cost nothing and be just as legally binding as if you paid an attorney a couple hundred dollars to draft up..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thankyou very much

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer