How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started a buisness 7 years ago. over the past 2 years my

Customer Question

I started a buisness 7 years ago. over the past 2 years my spouse has embezzled about 300,00.00 from the company. what can I do
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: WI
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no. I am looking for one now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he admitted it to me, and I am gathering documents showing it
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. At the end of this discussion I am going to ask you to please rate me, since that is the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note: The general information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I understand that this must be a very stressful time for you. You indicated that you are gathering the documents and that he admitted the embezzlement to you. Have you reported this to the authorities yet? If not do you intend to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am still gathering hard documentation. I have not yet reported it as I wanted proof. I want a divorce but am not willing to give up any more of my business to him
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Please hold on while I review this and type my answer.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Was he an employee of your business? How did he have access to the business funds?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he had access for doing payroll and billing. he was not listed as an employee as he had been barred from the State of WI to be in caregiving.
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Also Wisconsin doesn't call it "embezzlement" per se, what you have described comes under the theft statute - Wisconsin statute 943.20, which is a felony. If the value of the property exceeds $10,000, the charge is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison with a $25,000 fine. So as you can see, this is very serious. If you know that you are going to divorce him anyway, you need to report this crime as soon as possible. Please also consult with a local attorney as soon as possible to discuss this issue. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, it seems your previous contributor has opted out of working with you further. If you have further questions I would be happy to continue with you, if not, please do not forget to leave positive feedback for your expert, as the experts are not employees of this site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless the customer clicks on the 5 stars at the top of their page and leaves positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions