How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a California Court orders payments from the California

Customer Question

If a California Court orders payments from the California petitioner's Indiana spendthrift trust to the California respondent's lawyer for $80,000+ his forthcoming defense of a demurrer that seeks to show respondent has no standing (....there is no current order requiring petitioner to pay respondent spousal or child support), can such an order be fought off in Indiana courts? The California court does have general jurisdiction it has decided.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 10 months ago.

Hello again --


If the only Indiana connection to this case is the fact that the money is to come from an Indiana Spendthrift Trust, then an Indiana court will not assist in questioning jurisdiction or the orders of a CA court in this case. First, the general jurisdictional rules state that a court can and does have jurisdiction over a matter if one or both parties reside in the state and even if neither reside there, if there is a large issue involving another party in CA or a CA issue, the court can also take jurisdiction. Secondly, even if the Indiana court were to take jurisdiction the most they would do is enforce the CA orders because of the "full faith and credit" clause in the US constitution -- which means that each state court must enforce the orders of other state courts (it can be challenged but it is difficult to do so and will most likely cost a lot of money in legal fees just to mount a challenge that you will most likely not win).


I truly wish I had better news for you but I do not. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the rating section so I will be credited/paid for my time assisting you today? THANK YOU

Related Family Law Questions