How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exhusband pays me monthly for child support. but my

Customer Question

my exhusband pays me monthly for child support. but my daughter is now in college should he be helping with college as well? He dosnt seem to think so
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ny
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She is now 20 yrs old and he is a doctor I am not even sure he is paying me the correct amount
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to learn of this situation. Child support beyond the age of 18 can be tricky.

In New York,

The court may award educational expenses, such as for college or private school or for special enriched education. A parent may not, however, be directed to pay child support and/or contribute toward college education expenses for a child who is 21 years of age or older absent express agreement to do so.

N.Y. Dom. Rel. Law § 240(1-b)(c )(7)

See Setford v. Cavanaugh, 175 A.D.2d 665, 572 N.Y.S.2d 591 (1991).