Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm thinking about marrying a man from Fiji. I have quite a

Customer Question
Hi, I'm thinking about marrying...
Hi, I'm thinking about marrying a man from Fiji. I have quite a bit of equity built in my 401K. I'm 54 and he is 24. I have 2 adult children and 1 grandchild. What do I need to think about financially before getting married?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know. I just finished paying child support in June, 2016.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what else to contribute. What other things do you need to know? As far as I know, this man does not have a criminal record and has never been given a passport.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2016
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, Thank you.
Krista

Texas is a community property State. So, all assets acquired during the marriage would be divided 50/50 unless you have a prenuptial agreement. So, you need to have good prenuptial agreement that describes what would happen to your assets in case of divorce. It would be prudent to retain a local divorce Attorney to prepare the agreement or you can use one of the forms websites to prepare the agreement and have both parties sign the agreement"

USlegalforms.com

Lawguru.com

You can use the following sites to find local divorce Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law