How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19108
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm thinking about marrying a man from Fiji. I have quite a

Customer Question

Hi, I'm thinking about marrying a man from Fiji. I have quite a bit of equity built in my 401K. I'm 54 and he is 24. I have 2 adult children and 1 grandchild. What do I need to think about financially before getting married?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know. I just finished paying child support in June, 2016.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what else to contribute. What other things do you need to know? As far as I know, this man does not have a criminal record and has never been given a passport.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, Thank you.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Texas is a community property State. So, all assets acquired during the marriage would be divided 50/50 unless you have a prenuptial agreement. So, you need to have good prenuptial agreement that describes what would happen to your assets in case of divorce. It would be prudent to retain a local divorce Attorney to prepare the agreement or you can use one of the forms websites to prepare the agreement and have both parties sign the agreement"

You can use the following sites to find local divorce Attorneys: