How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend has a 7 year old little girl. The mother lives

Customer Question

My boyfriend has a 7 year old little girl. The mother lives in Minnesota and he lives in Atlanta. The father and the mother were never married. The mother has now brought the little girl to Atlanta to live with her 23 year old sister and she has returned to Minnesota. The little girl is registered in school in Atlanta. However, the mother is still receiving child support. The little girl will eventually live with her father. Does he have to wait until she is residing with him before the child support payments can stop?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

No, if the child is no longer living with the mother then she should not be receiving support. This would constitute a material change in circumstance and you should petition the court to modify the child support order, this is not always a fast process and you will need to continue to pay child support the way the court ordered you to until ordered otherwise. So to answer your question no he does not have to wait until the child is with him he can petition the court before this time.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Related Family Law Questions