FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

If there is no proof of marriage on file with the county, is

Customer Question

if there is no proof of marriage on file with the county, is the marriage a legal marriage?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

How were the parties married if a certificate was never filed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ceremony was officiated by a minister.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the minister signed the certificate

The person who conducts a marriage ceremony shall record on the license the date and the County in which the ceremony is performed and the person's name, subscribe in the license, and return the license to the County Clerk who issued the license not later than the 30th day after the date the ceremony is conducted. If the minister never did this, then there could be an issue and the certificate may not be valid and it may need to be done again. You need to speak with the minister and see what action they took, if any.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well he handed the certificate back to me after signing to mail it in. So I never mailed it in

If you never mailed it in then nothing would be on record or official. As such, there would not likely be a valid marriage at this time and you need to speak with the clerk of court Monday morning and ask about getting him to sign a new certificate and return it, so the marriage can be valid.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!