Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

Is a consented peace order a civil action against me? Should

Customer Question

Is a consented peace order a civil action against me?
Should I report this on a job application ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am fine a job application
and they ask for this
I would prefer to not reveal my personal stuff unless necessary

In Maryland a peace order is a civil protective order. When it is not civil, you'd be the defendant on a criminal case. Typically employers don't ask about civil matters and you wouldn't have to disclose it on a job application. Generally an application only wants to know whether you were ever arrested or convicted of a crime.

What is the question on the job application? Can you tell me the wording? If it only asks whether you've been arrested or convicted of a criminal offense, you would not have to disclose a peace order.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the question is have you been the subject of a civil or criminal complaint or administrative action ?

Thank you. You would have to answer yes to this. Then you could note that it was a civil action. Civil matters are public, so theoretically, anyway, if you denied it, they might be able to find it.

It is civil, however, and shouldn't cost you a job.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are civil cases on a Baltimore court disclosed to the public, can they find this record in another state?

Yes, the fact that you had a civil protective order against you would be a public record. Can they find it in another state?

Well, it's not going to be on your criminal history and won't turn up on a fingerprint check. But it is findable if they know where to look. In some Maryland Counties civil matters can be found online. See if you can plug in your name and find yourself.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/casesearch//inquiry-index.jsp

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.