How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently paying 500 in child support every month I

Customer Question

I am currently paying 500 in child support every month I have a lot of back pain and interest my boys are grown and married but my interests still keeps going up how can we stop that can anyone help me
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay thank you.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 10 months ago.


Unfortunately, Texas is one of the worst states for charging interest on arrearages. A Judge cannot reduce the interest being charged. The only thing that will change the interest rate is a change in Texas legislation. The fact that your boys are over the age of 18 unfortunately doesn't matter either. If you were ordered to pay child support and fell behind you must still pay child support as ordered, even after they aged out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will the court consider a sum amount to pay it off?
Expert:  originallawyer replied 10 months ago.

The only person that could offer you that option would be the person to whom you are paying the child support to, ie your ex. Your ex is the only person who can say they want less than what is court ordered. A Judge cannot force them to accept less than what was court ordered, and neither can the state.

Related Family Law Questions