How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34256
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The father of my kids is moving in. He has no income. He has

Customer Question

The father of my kids is moving in. He has no income. He has been in and out of my residence for year we dont have a stable relationship At all. My kids have medicaid. I am thrilled sole provider and always have been because he is greedy and when he did have money he would spend all on himself hobbies and his bills. Right now he doesn't have a job. I had filed child support back in may but now we want to work things out
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: So do I add him to my household and alert health and human services
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We go to our first court date in oct I told them I wanted to cease participation but they said I couldn't because I have help from the state
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I claim my children on my taxes. He doesn't because he knows I financially support them even when he was here. We file separately. I have 3 kids with him.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I genuinely need the help. With 3 pregnancies in 3 years that totalled 43 weeks of zero income because I was on bed rest twice plus 3 maternity leaves. If anything in the past when he lived here he borrowed money from me because he was broke. I pay for all my children's needs. I never put his income when he was here because of him being financially irresponsible plus last year he only worked maybe 6 months the whole year. I don't want to get in trouble. But I never knew if I could depend on him or even if he was going to come home at night. He has a tendency of disappearing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know married couples that get pregnancy Medicaid but they file separately. So that is what I don't understand how state decides who gets help.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
since I claim my kids and we file separately and he does not have an income do I need to notify the health human services that he is moving in
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Thank you
You will need to notify them since failure to do so, if you continue to draw welfare benefits, could constitute fraud (so you could wind up loosing your benefits)

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you do not have to declare him, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh ok i will notify them today. When I to tell them we reconciled will they ask why or for our income? Right now we both don't have an income. Living off credit cards and savings
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

You will need to tell the court you are living together. If you are cohabitation that can impact the child support order