Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

The father of my kids is moving in. He has no income. He has

Customer Question
been in and out of...
The father of my kids is moving in. He has no income. He has been in and out of my residence for year we dont have a stable relationship At all. My kids have medicaid. I am thrilled sole provider and always have been because he is greedy and when he did have money he would spend all on himself hobbies and his bills. Right now he doesn't have a job. I had filed child support back in may but now we want to work things out
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: So do I add him to my household and alert health and human services
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We go to our first court date in oct I told them I wanted to cease participation but they said I couldn't because I have help from the state
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I claim my children on my taxes. He doesn't because he knows I financially support them even when he was here. We file separately. I have 3 kids with him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Texas.
I genuinely need the help. With 3 pregnancies in 3 years that totalled 43 weeks of zero income because I was on bed rest twice plus 3 maternity leaves. If anything in the past when he lived here he borrowed money from me because he was broke. I pay for all my children's needs. I never put his income when he was here because of him being financially irresponsible plus last year he only worked maybe 6 months the whole year. I don't want to get in trouble. But I never knew if I could depend on him or even if he was going to come home at night. He has a tendency of disappearing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know married couples that get pregnancy Medicaid but they file separately. So that is what I don't understand how state decides who gets help.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since I claim my kids and we file separately and he does not have an income do I need to notify the health human services that he is moving in

Thank you
You do...you will need to notify them since failure to do so, if you continue to draw welfare benefits, could constitute fraud (so you could wind up loosing your benefits)

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you do not have to declare him, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok i will notify them today. When I go.to.court to tell them we reconciled will they ask why or for our income? Right now we both don't have an income. Living off credit cards and savings

You will need to tell the court you are living together. If you are cohabitation that can impact the child support order

P. Simmons, Lawyer