How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandchildren have been living with me for 16 months but

Customer Question

My grandchildren have been living with me for 16 months but we are trying to do a reunification with the father and my grandchildren. It was stated that I could have visitation once they do move back with there father. But I'm afraid he won't let me see my grandchildren once they are returned to him. My granddaughter and grandson and there parents lived with us for 4years and 10 months then they got there own place and three years to the date my daughter and her husband give me temp custody at which time they have been with me ever spence my granddaughter is 9 years old and really doesn't want to go back to live with her dad, because my daughter and granddaughters mom is no longer living. Can I get grandparents right to not break our bond? My grandson is 5 and we never got to have him to stay the nights when he lived with mom and dad but has also been with us for 16 months and we have finally built a bond with one another. Please help I can't stand the thought that we would never be aloud to see our grandchildren again
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you have excellent chances for getting visitation rights under these facts. To establish grandparent visitation rights, a grandparent must file a petition with the court requesting visitation. A WY judge will assess the following factors to determine whether visitation is appropriate:

  • grandparent visitation serves the child’s best interests, and
  • the parents’ rights aren’t substantially impaired by grandparent visitation.

Wyoming courts have applied this test liberally. A child’s best interests will depend on the specific circumstances of the case and strength of the grandparent-grandchild relationship which your facts already appear to show.

Here is the law:

20-7-101. Establishing grandparents' visitation rights

(a) A grandparent may bring an original action against any person having custody of the grandparent's minor grandchild to establish reasonable visitation rights to the child. If the court finds, after a hearing, that visitation would be in the best interest of the child and that the rights of the child's parents are not substantially impaired, the court shall grant reasonable visitation rights to the grandparent. In any action under this section for which the court appoints a guardian ad litem, the grandparent shall be responsible for all fees and expenses associated with the appointment.

(i) through (iii) Repealed by Laws 1997, ch. 71, § 2.

(b) Repealed by Laws 1997, ch. 71, § 2.

(c) No action to establish visitation rights may be brought by a grandparent under subsection (a) of this section if the minor grandchild has been adopted and neither adopting parent is related by blood to the child.

(d) In any action or proceeding in which visitation rights have been granted to a grandparent under this section, the court may for good cause upon petition of the person having custody or who is the guardian of the child, revoke or amend the visitation rights granted to the grandparent.

(e) As used in this section:

(i) "Grandparent" includes a great-grandparent; and

(ii) "Grandchild" includes a great-grandchild.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same thing I found on internet
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

This was the question you asked:

Q. Can I get grandparents right to not break our bond?

The answer that I provided answers your question. If you found that information on the internet, then my answer confirms that what you found on the internet is the correct answer. It is much like getting a second opinion from a doctor. If you have another related question that you do not already know the answer to, please let me.

Related Family Law Questions