How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stacy Adkins Your Own Question
Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stacy Adkins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in CT and am separated from my husband. He has moved

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I live in CT and am separated from my husband. He has moved out and taken our one car with him to use for work. I also work and have our 15 year old daughter living with me. Can he do that?I am left scrambling to get rides. The car is financed in both names but registered only to me.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No. This separation is very recent...but is permanent.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only about a million is all. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If the car is jointly titled, either party has a right to the property. Are you going to file for a legal separation or divorce? Your best option is likely to file and request the court to award you possession of the vehicle (through a Temporary Restraining Order prohibiting him from keeping the car), particularly since you have custody of your child. However, if he is making the payments, the court will have to work out equitable distribution of your assets, the car included. Legally, there is no way to get the car back short of him returning it to you or you filing an action with family court. If you'd like help with the proper forms, I can direct you to that. As of right now,

If you've found my answer helpful, please leave positive feedback. This is the only way experts are compensated by Just Answer for their time. You can still ask followup questions after providing a rating.