How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41019
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As I understand, in Oregon: When you go into divorce,

Customer Question

As I understand, in Oregon: When you go into divorce, everything is split. My daughter is in an abusive marriage relationship....they have two children. She works and has a savings acct. How can she keep that from being divided?
My suggestion is to open an acct. in my name/she is beneficiary, transfer those funds into that to protect it from being divided in the settlement. She and the children can buy a house when he serves the papers for divorce. Is this a way to protect her funds from being divided, and/or is there a better way? OR, can she take the money out and put it into a safety deposit account in my name??
Please advise. Pat
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

The only way to exclude from a divorce is to take it out of bank in cash and put it in a safety box.Anything else here while married is subject to division.Cash is off the grid, no W-2, 1099 etc.She then can keep it private.Thats the only way to keep it private and secure.

This would be a good idea until divorce is complete.Purchasing a house or keeping it in bank account while legally married is risky as the ex may have a marital property claim.Here what he doesn't no about would be hers off the grid.

Overall this is the way to keep it safe.She could put you on the safety box in case something happens to her and you wold have access if needed.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck to her in the divorce.