Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What are the consequences if any of the mother changing my

Customer Question
son's last name to her...
what are the consequences if any of the mother changing my son's last name to her new married last name? She talked about having both or hyphenating his name.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/14/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Law Tutor, Esq.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am a licensed attorney for over 20 years and I look forward to assisting you. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. Please hold on while I type your answer. Please note that although I am a Georgia licensed attorney, this is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What last name does the child carry at this time - your last name or the mother's last name? Are you on the child's birth certificate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has my last name (**********) and I am on the birth cert. His mom wants to change it to ********** or ******************.

Okay. I didn't mean the actual names. But that's okay. I will alert the site to redact the names. Please hold while I type my response. Thanks.

In Georgia, both parents must agree to the name change of a minor child, or the court will not grant it - unless the other parent has died, or has not financially supported the child for the last five years before the name change petition is filed, or the other parent has abandoned the minor child. So a petition would need to be filed with the appropriate court and the procedures must be followed before the court would enter a name change order for your child. The child's mother just couldn't do this unilaterally with your permission. If you are not in agreement with the name change, it's not going to happen, barring any of the factors I just noted (abandonment, etc). Does this help?

Do you have any other questions?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Also, to be clear, if you decide to agree with your child's mother to legally change or hyphenate your child's last name, this does not terminate your parental rights. It is simply a name change. I hope this helps.

Did you have any other questions? If you don't require anything further, please don't forget to rate me 5 stars so that I may receive credit from the site for helping you. Take care!

Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer