How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Although we have completed and come to an agreement

Customer Question

Although we have completed and come to an agreement concerning the divorce and it will be uncontested, my wife wants to attend court as Respondent. What terminology should be used under "Appearances"?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

Thanks for asking for me.

What are you referring to? A specific form? Where do you see "appearances"?


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In the "Final Decree of Divorce" sec. 1 "Appearances"
Respondent, Caran Donn Ashley-Elmore, waived issuance and swevice of citation by waiver duly filed and did not otherwise appear.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

If she waived personal service of the lawsuit and did not otherwise file an answer or other pleading of any kind then she did not make an appearance. As regards ***** ***** the action, appearance is the act of filing a first pleading in a lawsuit. If she didn't file any pleadings or jointly sign any kind of pleading that was filed with the court then she would not be listed in appearances.

Please send me a link to the form you are looking at that asks for appearances.

I am presuming that you filed the divorce suit---yes?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?