How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 42 yrs old married with 3 children living in E.

Customer Question

My son is 42 yrs old married with 3 children living in E. Amherst NY. He is an alcoholic who has been to rehab twice. The most recent rehab ended shortly after it started and he left the facility AMA. his drivers license has been revoked but he still drives and drinks (sometime concurrently). Is there a mechanism to have him committed involuntarily to a rehab facility
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, in order for a person to be involuntary committed, a court has to order it......and it is not likely that a court would be a stand-alone cause of action that would allow a judge to order an alcoholic to rehab. BUT, if child services got involved and said that the children were being neglected or endangered because he has an alcohol problem or because he's driving with the children while under the influence, etc., the court could order him to submit to alcohol rehab as a condition of being allowed to reunite with his children, family, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

There should be other similar ways, but he's going to have to be charged or brought into court under some particular issue and have rehab ordered as a condition of his penalty/punishment.