Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Im not sure. I believe my Uncle is being Financially abuse

Customer Question
Im not sure. I...
Im not sure. I believe my Uncle is being Financially abuse by his youngest daughter. He has bought a house for her, her 2 children and him to live in. And she has Full POA. Her older siblings aren't much better in caring for him than she is. So far, she has moved her boyfriend, his father, his grandmother and I think a friend of her boyfriends also. My Uncle had a nice truck and a small care when he moved up here from N.C. to be closer to his family since he is having memory problems. My Cousin and her boyfriend have abused and trashed my Uncles truck and car. When my Mother takes my Uncle on outtings, my cousin tells my Mother not to let him go to the bank. My Uncle suspects that my cousin and whoever has been getting into his wallet also. He has lost an extreme amount of weight since they all moved into this house. My Uncle also is too "kind" to say anything about what he thinks is going on. Since my cousin has POA. What can be done to stop her from abusing him?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Michigan. Not sure of the year of the truck, but it used to be like new. He had it before 2009 I know that much. (she has recently smashed in the front corner and sides too)
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know, I highly doubt it, because she'll tell my Uncle "Oh, dont worry Dad I'll take care of it." Did I mention she doesn't work. I took pictures just in case I needed to prove anything down the road. Her boyfriends friend told her I took pictures, she called me and begged my not to show them to anyone.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My cousin used to be clean and decently presentable. But now she's raggity and drug-out most the time. I believe her boyfriend has talked her into things to do with her power over my Uncle.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/13/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed this; I am sorry to hear this about your uncle.

A parent can buy their adult children (or any person for that matter) anything that they wish- so long as they are of sound mind and are not being unduly influenced.

If a person that is in a position of trust, particularly one that holds a POA, violates that trust, that is called "breach of the fiduciary duty".

Do you know if the uncle is of sound mind?

Ely, Counselor at Law