How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I do not want a divorce at this time, but I do want a

Customer Question

I do not want a divorce at this time, but I do want a separation. I can no longer be held for my husband's financial ineptitude and poor decisions. Because of his choices I've stood by him through bankruptcy, losing our home, and his inability to get a job. I have found a marriage separation agreement (MSA) online and filled it out but I can not find where to file it. All I can find is where to go to file for divorce. I'm hoping we can eventually work this out, but I want some kind of legal doc that shows I am no longer responsible for his continuing debt. Do I file this as I would for a divorce? (I live in San Diego, CA)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The Family Law Complaint form allows you to check a box stating whether you're looking for a divorce or a legal separation. The same document is filed in both types of cases, along with the MSA. The state has more information available online. All of the forms and instructions are available here:

Here is additional information for filing in San Diego:,1524222&_dad=portal

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?