How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3139
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my husband of thirty years just cut off my medical and

Customer Question

Can my husband of thirty years just cut off my medical and such as there are other things he has stopped my access into because I caught him red handled having an affair with somebody of authority at the U.S. Veterans Hosp./clinic and is currently under investigation?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 10 months ago.

Hello Guyda,

No he may not. Spouses have a legal and mutual obligation to provide financial support to each other for basic expenses of life such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care etc. These are know as necessaries. If your husband is not providing you with these necessaries, you are allowed to bring a civil lawsuit against him to provide the necessary support. This is provided for in Washington state law in the Revised Code of Washington Section 26.16.205, which provides in relevant part as follows:

Liability for family support—Support obligation of stepparent

The expenses of the family * * * are chargeable upon the property of both spouses * * * or either of them, and they may be sued jointly or separately.

Additionally, if you are considering divorce or separation, you can make an application to a court for what is known as pendente lite support, which mean your husband can be forced by a court order to provide financial support during the duration of the divorce proceedings until a divorce is finalized and a permanent order of support is ordered.

So, I do hope that things can be worked out between you two. But if not, the legal process can be used by you to get the necessary financial support you need.

Good luck.