How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33424
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An old acquaintance that I met is falsely accusing me of

Customer Question

An old acquaintance that I met is falsely accusing me of having sex with her when she was 16 in trying to get money from me. What should I do?
She is 24 now
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

How old are you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I met her thru a site called backpage
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Your next step should be hiring a lawyer that does criminal defense work. There is no statute of limitations on felonies involving sex with a minor and there is no telling what she is going to claim happened so you need to get "in front" of this and your lawyer will help you to gather evidence to use if she tries to report this. This may involve hiring a private investigator to bug your phone or, since this is extortion, it may even involve working with the District Attorney to get her charged.

There is nothing you can do without a lawyer that will do anything to help you and many things you can do will make it worse. Many people who get involved in this kind of deal end up having to pay these people over and over until they have no more money and then they get reported.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Criminal Law.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Here is a good summary of "sex crimes" in NC:

It is a little old but the laws haven't changed much.

Related Family Law Questions