How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Tutor, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 165
Experience:  N/A
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Tutor, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i enroll my daughter in a public school withou using her

Customer Question

can i enroll my daughter in a virginia public school withou using her legal name
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am a licensed attorney for over 20 years and I look forward to assisting you. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Would you mind providing me with just a little bit more information regarding this? What name were you wanting to use rather than the child's legal name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the same last name as her siblings
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I see. Please hold on. I am typing your answer. Okay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found my answer previously, but i can't remember or seem to be able to find it again.
basically the statute or code or whatever stated that i can enroll her under any name as long as i provide them with her legal documentation.
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I have been practicing in Virginia for 20 years. Unfortunately, when registering a child for public school in Virginia, you must use the child's legal name. You must present the birth certificate, and that is the name that will be used. Here is a link for the Virginia Department of Education concerning Enrollment in Virginia Public Schools. I would however, make a suggestion. If you and the child's father are in agreement, you may consider filing for a legal name change with the court. The schools will only use a name other than what's on the birth certificate if you have a name change order from the court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this frustrating because i know i read where she can be addressed by a different name as long as they have her bc on record
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am typing....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to legally change a mnor's name is ***** ***** there are no guarantees if both parents aren't on board. not to mention the expense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the site you sent me to does not address using an alias. i have no problem submitting her bc, she just wants to be addressed by a different name.
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The child may be addressed by another name in the classroom by the teacher and you can speak with the teacher about that. However, the formal registration must be the name on the birth certificate or name change order. Yes, you are correct, a name change for a minor is very difficult, if not impossible unless both parents are on board with the decision. As far as expense is concerned, if it is a name change that is consented to, you can find attorneys that will do it at a reasonable cost, or you may be able to proceed pro se (do it yourself). Please talk to the teacher. I have been through this personally as well. The teacher can address the child by another name. I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. that just about does it. i know there is something written that clearly states i have the right to have her records under a different name. i just have to find it. i was hoping that this would expedite the process, but it has slowed me down and cost me instead. thanks for your efforts
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need anything else. I just called one of the schools to make sure there have been no recent developments that may have changed things. From a legal standpoint, I know there have been no changes. I wish I had better news for you. Please don't hold this against me when rating me.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I was just checking in to see if you need anything further. I am here to help. Is there anything else I can do to help you? I will close this out for now but I will be on standby if you require anything further. Good luck to you. I know what you are going through and I hope that everything turns out well. By the way, I have seen clients ask the teacher to hyphenate the last name on things in the class room and they did it as a courtesy, if you explain the situation to the child's teacher. So for example, if the child's name is***** and your family's name is ***** ***** teacher may allow the child to list herself as Jill Smith-Johnson on all paperwork in the classroom. However, on registration documents with the office, the name would remain the child's official name, Jill Smith unless you present a court ordered name change. If you don't require anything further, please don't for get to rate me. A five star rating would be appreciated. The experts on this panel do not receive credit for answering questions unless we receive a positive rating. It doesn't cost you anything extra to rate me. Thanks again. Take care.