How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband left me over 20 years ago but we never had a

Customer Question

My husband left me over 20 years ago but we never had a legal separation. We were in contact with each other over the years. We were in an understanding about getting a divorce. Before I could do this he had a stroke. He is aware of what's going on but cannot speak. I went to court and did agree to let a appointed guard***** *****dle his money. I would like to press on with my divorce right now. I am seeking no money from him. Please tell me my next step. Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

You can file divorce against your husband just as you could if he were mentally stable. If he has a guardian, you should serve that person as well. Once the case is filed, you could ask the court to appoint a legal guardian for your husband to ensure that his rights are protected.....this could be a family member or even a lawyer appointed by the court.

Other than possibly adding a person to watch out for your husband's best legal interests, the procedure is basically the same as it would be in any instance.

Related Family Law Questions