How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34729
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in the state of Florida and the biological father of

Customer Question

We live in the state of Florida and the biological father of our 18 year old has made an application for emancipation in New Jersey. The child is now attending college here in Florida and we need to know what steps to take. The child as well as us don't want her emacipated until she graduates from college.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Can you give some context...was the original support order from NJ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
NJ law allows a court to order support past the age of majority IF the child is enrolled full time in college.

So it is possible that the court can extend the support (again, to allow the child to complete college).

But what you are describing, it sounds like dad has filed a motion with the court to stop support.

The best way to respond to this is with an attorney.

The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

It is possible to convince the court to extend to hire an attorney to assist with the process (to ensure you get the order extended)

Heads up....your request for phone call was denied because of problem with your payment. Customer service at


can assist with this

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding