How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I and my wife owned our house that is paid for. It was my

Customer Question

I and my wife owned our house that is paid for. It was my money that paid for the house but it is in her name because of credit issues. We are not in good terms but haven't contemplate divorce yet. I want to got to the west coast for extended period. I am afraid she might unilaterally divorce me, sell the house and keep the money. Is there anyway I can put a lean on the house before I leave
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can prepare a document called a Notice of Interest. In the document, you'll have to give the legal description of the property, and state that you are claiming an interest in the property. This will put everyone who might be interested in buying the property on notice of your interest. It will come up on a title report, and it's very unlikely a title company would give title insurance without contacting you and resolving the issue with you. You'll have to file the notice with your county recorder's office.

Does that make sense?