Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree, CFP and MBA with 30 years experience in estate and income tax law
1929974

I and my wife owned two houses. One here in the states and

Customer Question

I and my wife owned two houses. One here in the states and another in china. It was my money that paid for them but both houses are in her name because of credit and tax issues, We are not in good terms. If we divorce what is the likely outcome when it comes to division of property. We have married 9 years and have no children
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here

...

In Georgia, each spouse has an equitable interest in all marital property acquired during the course of the marriage. The only property considered for equitable division is the property that exists at the time of divorce. The marital property may be assets of either partner, including retirement benefits.

...

So if the houses were acquired WHILE married then they are no more subject to go to her than you, becasue of the name on the title or mortgage

...

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has helped. … Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise JA doesn't credit me for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.