Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

The school police questioned my daughter today about her

Customer Question
home situation. They stated it...
The school police questioned my daughter today about her home situation. They stated it was because they received an anonymous tip. Currently my wife and I have been out of work for a few months but we were both at our last jobs for 12 and 8 years respectively.
I received $20k for my 401k when I resigned and she received a few thousand from her job. I have done some side work as well, such as selling on ebay and Amazon, etc. The kids have new school clothes and supplies every year and we send them with food and drinks for class events and parties. There has really been nothing besides some tardies that would lead to a teacher or counselor recommending an interviews. My issue though is that the officer despite her repeatedly telling him everything was fine at home and they had what they need, kept saying stuff like "Wouldn't your brother be better off if we sent someone to come take him" and "How can you be fine if you're the only income." He also told her not to tell us about the interview and that she could just asked surprised when CPS shows up. My daughter also stated that the school police officer started off real friendly but once another officer arrived his tone and demeanor changed and he became more accusatory. From what she told me he brought up it sounds as if they only tried to dig up anything that would support a case for involvement. Lastly, it sounds as if my daughter felt like she was being pressured to say that her and her brother would be better off if CPS was involved. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/10/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
These school officials are so paranoid because they are mandatory reporters and when they receive the slightest complaint of possible abuse they go overboard. If there is no physical abuse and if there is no neglect, they have nothing, they are grasping at straws. If they send in CPS, those social workers are absolutely the most incompetent, negligent and abusive people that you could ever encounter. They play friendly, then they make up lies and fabricate evidence to substantiate their own warped ideas.
So, if CPS comes, unfortunately because of their power and authority you need to speak to them and cooperate, BUT legally you do not have to allow them to search your home without a warrant and you do not have to allow them into your home without a warrant (the problem with that is if you refuse to allow them in they will lie and get the police and say your children are in danger, which is cause for them to enter without a warrant and possibly even temporarily take the children from you).
There is no easy way to deal with CPS if they show up other than refuse to sign anything, but be polite and cooperative to a point. Answer their questions with direct and short answers, do not elaborate to give them any words to twist on you. If at all possible, you should engage an attorney to represent you in your dealings with them, even if you never did anything at all, because as I said their social workers are incompetent and vindictive and have their own agenda, just like those school mall cops that your daughter encountered, they are looking to make a case where none exists because it is easier for them than going after true abuse cases.
If there are no issues, then be polite, very brief and direct in your replies and do not sign anything they ask you to sign, they are not to be trusted.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer