How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33759
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I havea question about divorce in ct if you have a marital

Customer Question

Hi i havea question about divorce in ct if you have a marital tort would you sue after or during divorce
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes I am the defendant
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really- the tort would be fraud. thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

As a general rule you have to bring all of your causes of action at one time. The judge may then sever that cause out and send it to a different court but there is no harm that can come as a result of bringing it in the divorce action and if you don't bring it at the same time there is a chance, with some judges almost a certainty, that they will dismiss the case and tell you that you should have brought it at the same time.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The short story is that my husband and I have only been married 1.5 years. He is a surgeon. I recently found out that every since we met he has basically been flying to see different women and cheating the whole marriage. Meanwhile, I changed jobs (pay cut), states, careers to get married. I feel that it is fraudulent inducement to marry. We are in CT. I am aware of the resistant of the court to hear "heart balm claims" but I have substantial outlays and also he spent a good amount of the money visiting these women and giving them gifts. Do I have to allege all of this in my counterclaim on the return date or can I wait until I see that the divorce is going to trial? Thanks
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

You can usually add it later. The court may set a date by which you must file all of your pleadings. However, it is always better to file it as soon as possible.