How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30162
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have two cars, we bought during the marriage, I want to

Customer Question

We have two cars , we bought during the marriage, I want to leave in the car he claims is mine, one lawyer told me not to, that he can get me for stealing his car, can I take the car and not get into trouble, I have no other vehicle, I gave mine up in ohio, where I came from, we live in maryland
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i am in Maryland but want to go back to ohio when he is at work one day he wont let me leave
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: just a legal service, i wasn't confident about her advice, and i have no money, i became a homemaker during the marriage, i had a career in ohio
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't want oodles of money, i would just like to be able to take the car until a hearing
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If your name is ***** ***** car, then you are a legal owner, and a person can't steal their own property. If the car is in your husband's name only, then it's marital property, but he could cause problems for you by reporting it stolen. Police are only looking at the name on the title and the registration, so you could at the very least find yourself pulled over and delayed until things get straightened out. You'd need a court order to prove your right to the vehicle before you can take it. The only way to get that is from the divorce court judge.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?