How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30184
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live FL,I have a divorce case in MD,can I have a FL lawyer

Customer Question

I live FL,I have a divorce case in MD,can I have a FL lawyer to represent me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A lawyer must be licensed in the state in which they're representing you. It is possible for a lawyer in one state to request admission in another "pro hac vice," which essentially means for one case only. However, to get approved, they have to be working under the supervision of someone licensed in Maryland - which means you wind up paying two lawyers for all the work they do. You also have to pay for the Florida lawyer to travel to Maryland, plus all the hotel expenses, so the costs add up quickly. But it IS possible, if your Florida lawyer is willing, and if your Maryland lawyer will supervise them (or if you find another MD lawyer who will).

You cannot sue a Maryland-based company in Florida unless they also have bank branches in your state or they come to Florida to solicit your business. The starting point would be to see if they're registered with the Florida Secretary of State.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ,If the Bank has a branch in FL can I sue them there?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The general rule is that, if they operate in Florida at all, they'll have registered with the state and named an agent for service of process, which means they can be sued. Check your agreement with the bank to see if the disclosures require you to sue in a specific state. Sometimes they do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
concerning my divorce lawyer in our 1st evaluation meeting he told me that a retainer of 15k would be necessary ,2 months later when almost no work has been done he request another 10k and he estimates now that it's going to cost me 10 times it normal?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I would say that it's fairly common for retainers to go faster than clients think, because they don't always realize how long it takes to do research, make phone calls, draft letters, etc. But what you're describing doesn't sound right at all. Your lawyer needs to account for the money spent so far, and if he's estimating that the costs are now going to be 10x what you originally paid, he needs to back that up with a lot of facts.

I'd also suggest you seek a second opinion. Call another Maryland lawyer, give them the facts of the case, and see what they would charge. You can fire your lawyer and hire someone else if they're just looking to take your money.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?