How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2449
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I ask for attorney fees when I didn't ask at the time

Customer Question

How do I ask for attorney fees when I didn't ask at the time I filed the Domestic Violence Restraining Order since I didn't have an attorney at the time? The case is almost over now and the judge didn't admit invoices for therapy since i hadn't marked that box earlier.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 10 months ago.

If the case is almost over and you haven't requested attorney's fees, it would be too late now to get attorney's fees. If the case hadn't started, you could ask the Court to let you amend your Petition, but once the hearings have begun, it is too late. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even if I didn't have an attorney at the time therefore wouldn't make sense to ask for attorney fees? Since I have paid my attorney upfront whenever i have asked her about this once retained, she hasn't answered me about it. I want to at least ask the court so they say yes or no instead of assuming the judge would say no. Since I'm not allowed to talk to the judge and my attorney isn't asking her, I want to know if there's anything I can file or a way to ask the judge.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 10 months ago.

Yes. That is why I always advise unrepresented parties to request attorney's fees if there is any chance they will hire an attorney. And unfortunately, since you have an attorney, there is no legal action you can take without your attorney.

Related Family Law Questions