How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do Grandparents in California have any rights for

Customer Question

Do Grandparents in California have any rights for visitation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your girlfriend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades.

You will be pleased to hear that California is a very grandparent rights friendly state.

California law confers discretion on the court to grant "reasonable visitation" rights "to any other person ---including a grandparent---having an interest in the welfare of the child.

However, the CA law also holds that parents have a "fundamental right" to make decisions concerning the care, custody and control of their children.

State law allows the judge to grant visitation to a grandparent, even over a parent's objection whenever the court determines such visitation may serve the child's best interest. This discretion to grant visitation generally applies when the grandparent has hada lot of contact with the grandchild through the child's life up to the point of a parent withholding visitation.

Even if the parents object to a grandparent being granted visitation with the grandchildren, the court can never-the-less grant visitation.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,