Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I live in Minnesota. I am almost 17 wishing to marry my 18

Customer Question

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I live in Minnesota. I am almost 17 wishing to marry my 18 year old boyfriend. My parents are divorced my mom has full physically custody of me but both my parents split 50/50 of legal custody.Would my dad be able to sign off on the marriage license?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What are the reasons you wish to get married at such young age?

Are both parents willing to sign a written consent to the marriage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because I am a transgender male (female to male) trying to transition. My mom is not accepted of me and my identity. If I am able to get married, my name will change legally and I can get out of the house with my mom and start hormones. My boyfriend is also transgender so his name will change legally as well when we would get married.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My dad is accepting, is all for us getting married and is more than willing to sign the form.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no just my dad is willing to sign the form
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The marriage license form says "if either applicants are under 18 years of age, give the name and address of his/her legal custodial parent or guardian"

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, both parents / legal guardians would have to consent in writing for a 16 year old child to be married and even if both parents consent, the judge would still have to review the entire case and decide whether to approve such marriage.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.