How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stacy Adkins Your Own Question
Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stacy Adkins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An a non-custodial parent get a child's social security

Customer Question

An a non-custodial parent get a child's social security number from the state DHS (Arkansas) without the custodial parent's permission?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy and will be helping you out this evening. Have there been any court proceedings regarding the child? Child support orders, divorce case, etc.? If so, that information should be in the court file and as a party, you'd have the right to review the file and get that information.

Besides that, you'd need to file something with the court to try to explain why the information is needed and request that the custodial parent provide you with the social security number. Another option is to contact the Social Security Administration and request a duplicate copy if you're listed on the birth certificate. This page outlines those steps. DHS typically will not give that information out freely.

I hope this answers your question. If you've found my answer helpful, please give me a positive rating. This is the only way I can get credit for assisting you. You can still ask followup questions after providing a rating. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 10 months ago.

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate their experts without a positive rating. Thank you so much!