ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

IS IT LEGAL TO GET A DIVORCE IN MISSOURI,IF ONE OF THE PARTY

Customer Question

IS IT LEGAL TO GET A DIVORCE IN MISSOURI,IF ONE OF THE PARTY HAS HAD ECT TREATMENT?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No, it's not illegal. It could potentially be suspect, in that the party that had the treatment might be alleged to be mentally incapable of assenting to divorce or properly defending himself/herself, but it's not per se illegal. Rather, there'd still have to be an affirmative proof shown that the party that had the treatment was unable to understand the nature of his/her actions AND that this resulted in an inequitable distribution of property / assets / etc... As divorce is "no fault", the divorce itself is not able to be challenged unless the party that didn't have the treatment is challenging the divorce based upon the lack of capacity of the party that had the treatment. Again, it's not illegal per se, but rather only a piece of evidence that could be used to challenge the legitimacy of the underlying divorce by challenging the capacity of the party that had the treatment.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!